Tuesday, September 24, 2013

SNAP Program


SNAP is the abbreviation for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, most commonly known as food stamps. In the past years, the number of people on this program has dramatically increased, and now there is talk about cutting the program by $40 billion dollars in the next 10 years. I do believe that there is a large need for this program since many Americans need the assistance, but I don't think that every single person on the program actually needs it. During the election season, when Romney and Obama were campaigning, I specifically remember, and will never forget, a comment one person made. "I want Obama to win so I can have my food stamps." Oh man, that angered me. The way she said it, it was so obvious that she was abusing these privileges and knew it, too. Now, I know that for many Americans food stamps are a necessity, but there are some who don't actually need them and are just abusing their right. Therefore, a cut in this program  may not be such a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment